Monday, January 17, 2011

Poison

I have to be honest and say that this was not one of my favorite readings by C.S. Lewis, but it is still a good one. One of the things that struck me the most in this reading was the point Lewis makes about being stagnant in our Christian faith. This brought back memories for me from when I was younger. My grandmother always used to say to me "Idle hands make the devil's work." She usually was telling me this so that I would be helpful to her and my mother. However, when we were discussing in class this saying kept coming into my mind. It really is true. If we stand still in our Christianity, or "hold our hands idle" we are letting the devil take hold of us. Like in the reading of Screw tape, the patient was still going to church, but he was not growing in his faith. He was stagnant. I also thought about how this can apply to the position we hold in other people's lives. If we do not help other Christians grow in their faith, then aren't we helping the devil? How often is it that we know people are struggling with life decisions, or struggling to come to terms with the life God has given them and we do not help? I know for myself that it is very hard for me to listen to God telling me to help others. We so often hear him calling us to do something yet chose to go our own way, which is not what he desires for us.

  Another topic that was brought up withing class was the question if God needs to obey the moral law. This is tricky to think about. My stand is that he does not because God is all that is good in this universe. I think that God is perfect, and his having to obey the moral law would take away his Omnipotence.


 "God is not merely good, but goodness; goodness is not merely divine, but God."

2 comments:

  1. It is so easy to fall into this kind of stagnant faith. I have found this all to often in my own life. Being lazy in my devotions, or choosing to never talk about spiritual matter with my friends. As far as your second point, if God is all that is good, then does He not fulfill the law which is also good? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to stagnant faith, we often here people say things like, "I'll go to church and try to do my one good thing per day." Or some people serve at a kitchen once a month. I think that limiting ourselves and letting service become a routine creates stagnant faith as well.

    ReplyDelete