Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Eros

This reading was very interesting to me, before C.S. Lewis I never knew that love had different names. Of course one loves their family different than their spouse but I never went any further than that.

I found this reading so interesting I think because I was looking at it from a married perspective. I never thought of me not being "submissive" to my husband was sinful, especially if it was because he had done something wrong or because I thought I had a better idea. I find it hard in a lot of areas of my life to not be in control. So, when I made this transition to marriage, it was all glorious for the first couple months, but then the grind of school came into play, managing a budget, and everything else in between.
It has been hard for me to remember what the Bible calls me to do as a wife. I am to listen to him and to love him, but he is also to do that for me.

When Tom, my husband and I were in premarital counseling he said "If Tom loves you the way Christ loves the church, then I promise you will have no problem being obedient." Amazing right? 

C.S. Lewis says "For the church has no beauty but what the bride-groom gives her; he dos not find, but makes her lovely." When first reading this, it may come off the wrong way. However, when I thought about it I remembered that you do not love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them.

It made me look back to a time when I was terribly sick with the flu, my head so congested that when I talked I sounded like a man, and I am sure that I just smelled like death warmed over. However, Tom brought me a glass of hot lemon tea and said you are so perfect, and you are taking this like a champ. I mean come one right? Was he out of his mind?  Lewis and the Bible both say no, I don't need to be all dolled up and in some tight pair of jeans for him to compliment me, because that is not why he married me.
If one marries only for the looks, they will be very disappointed.

3 comments:

  1. It's good to read what you thought of the piece as a married woman. I thought it was interesting how you said, " you do not love someone because they are beautiful, they are beautiful because you love them." That is very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I am sure that it is hard to show love towards a spouse at the same level all the time thanks to our fallen nature, but it is so important to do it anyway. As a man of great wisdom once told me "A happy wife makes a happy life!" This is kind of a humorous way of saying it, but if (from my perspective as a man) I love my wife she will be happy and a happy marriage will follow which will make our life together that much sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being subimissive seems like a bad type of partnership for a woman. I think it should be more of a team effort regardless of who has to be the head. I'm not sure how I feel about Lewis' and the bibles point here, but my parenting brings out disagreements in a marriage as we have all undoubtedly seen of our parents. I think it's important for both husband and wife to back eachother up. It's important when dating to find out eachothers stances on things, because some things people just can't live with or disagree on if they are to be married.

    ReplyDelete